Skip to content

Into the unknown!

August 15, 2014

Last Saturday we were reliably informed by the estate agent that all formalities were complete and we should be proceeding to contract and completion within our deadlines.

On Monday afternoon with four days left to completion and one week before the removal men show up, we called the agent to ascertain progress. The person who we had been working with was on holiday (she hadn’t told us) and we ended up playing phone tag with the office manager until 4:45pm. At which point he told us that the third party down the chain STILL had not got their mortgage and there wasn’t a hope in hell we could complete the transaction in time. 😦 All attempts since to obtain a date have failed so we were forced to find alternative accommodation and make storage arrangements.

We managed to extend the B&B booking up to the Saturday 23rd and then a two week booking for a furnished cottage close to Stalham. The cost of all this (which is non-refundable) is over £1000. We did get a bit of a deal on the storage – half-price offer so we’ll be paying about £40 per week. This has all meant a re-think on our packing as we do not want to be wandering around Norfolk with suitcases, medicine chests etc in the car. We’ll have to pack most of it for storage and then get what we need when we need it.

As you can imagine we are not very happy with this situation, we were ready to complete on June 16th and the delays have (or will) end up costing us well over £2500!

Anyway, we will make the best of it and as soon as we do complete we’ll start on decoration etc on the new place. We may be offline for a while, my cell-phone should be working OK but broadband etc is not available in the cottage.

Cheers

David & June

Advertisements
4 Comments leave one →
  1. August 15, 2014 17:41

    That is a rotten thing to happen! The house buying process in the UK is concoluted and can be horrible… Looks like you are getting the rough (expensive) end of the deal too? Hope it will go smoothly from here on!

    Gerda

    • August 15, 2014 18:01

      The system is totally messed up – the vendor coul dback out even now!

  2. jo Anne permalink
    August 16, 2014 11:31

    OMGoodness what a mess. Why don’t you put forth the idea of ‘backing out!’ Just to see the reaction. I am sure your deposit would be refunded as so many deadlines have come and gone. You would then be in control. As it stands the vendor is still in control and you with no recourse should the mortgage fall thru. Just a thought. Stay Calm as the saying goes. All the best wished to you and June.

    • August 16, 2014 12:31

      Hi Jo,

      It’s not the vendor’s mortgage – it’s the one she is buying from. The deposit is still with the solicitors in their client account and has been since June! If we backed out we’d lose all the survey fees etc and then have to find somewhere else. Not sure I’m up for that

      David

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Mrs Niklasson's Adventures

Home is where the heart is

%d bloggers like this: